Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Technology Assignment

One form of communication that will impact the professional world when fully developed is instantaneous translation. With the advanced computing technologies that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has been researching, there has already been a major breakthrough with a system called MADCAT, which automatically classifies and translates documents. Currently DARPA is working on a system called Broad Operational Language Translation (BOLT). This new system will instantaneously translate foreign languages to English.

Of course, there are other companies trying to make new breakthroughs in translation. One of these companies is SpeechGear. SpeechGear’s Compadre System offers several components related to translation and speech. One component, called Interact, is on the peak of potentially making instant translation available. To use this feature, the user speaks the words he/she wants translated and the device has the ability to translate the words into the language you are requesting.

Though there are several programs available today used for translation, including Skype and Google Translate, there is still much to be figured out with translating verbal communication. Even harder than this is the ability to make it happen instantaneously. Though these programs require a large amount of development, it is interesting to think about where this new technology will take the professional world.

The biggest change this invention will bring to the professional world is the collapse of the language barrier. Without a language barrier, individuals will be able to negotiate, trade, and create partnerships much quicker than in the past. In the past, traveling abroad for business required a translator for meetings, and a pocket dictionary for looking up common phrases and words. In more recent developments, professionals have tools on smartphones to aid in translation, however this takes time to type, or say, words and phrases into smartphone. With this new technology, professionals would have the ability to travel with the ability to communicate with each individual as if they were speaking to them in a normal conversation. Of course, the biggest defining feature of this new technology is the instantaneous feature.  

Along with collapsing language barriers, this new technology will accelerate the world’s growing interconnectedness and bring globalization to a new level. Though English is the lingua franca for business, this next wave of technology will remove the need for a shared language. This will open the door for non-elites and a massive number of non-English speakers. 

Lastly, this new technology will also significantly reduce the social isolation of tens of millions around the world. There are currently robotic gloves with flex sensors that allow a deaf individual to “speak” in real time. These new technologies will allow so many to feel involved and represented in society. And overall, instantaneous translation will build a platform that opens the door to a wide range of possibilities. If these breakthroughs can bring new people into the discussion and further the act of globalization, the world as we know it will change entirely and create a broad marketplace of ideas that everyone can contribute to.




  

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this technology! I work with elementary age children, and a lot of their parents only speak Spanish. I have very poor Spanish skills, and so this would help me so much when speaking with parents at parent-teacher conferences, and anytime we need to have contact. I would love to have a tool like this at my job so that I could communicate more clearly with my students and their parents, which would lead to more understanding and learning. This was a really well written, and interesting article, thanks Sarah! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is awesome! Both the instant translator and the gloves. I did my paper on virtual realities and this was a part of it. It talked about how businesses could have conferences as if in the same room and different languages could instantly be translated. I thought how cool that would be but also wondered how accurate it is now. Because in my experience with translators there is definitely meaning lost and sentence structure can get confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would truly love this technology! I have quite a few family friends from Peru, and it is always a hassle to have my brother or my father translate for me. It would be nice to be able to communicate with them without having one of them around. Another time it would be nice is when I have clients come into my salon. We get plenty of clients who are deaf or do not speak english, so it would be extremely beneficial for me in order to achieve the most correct cut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these technologies are genius ideas. Both technologies you mention can and will change the way we communicate around the world. Working as a translator for a while I know how it is easy to get lost in translation but with these technologies it would be a perfect translation for all involved. There would be so much less confusion. Great article! I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete